Welcome to my food adventures!

I have recently decided to put my obscene love of food to some use. Now family and friends can keep up with me as I explore different kinds of food - at home, at restaurants, in other countries, etc.! I really do find that I associate lots of great memories with the food I eat. So this is as much a project for myself as it is for my friends and family. Enjoy! Hope some of it makes you hungry :)

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Lettuce piles and toasted multi grain bread with cheddar



















Tonight, I ran to the supermarket and grabbed some quick ingredients that I thought would be good for lettuce wraps. Fully intent upon making wraps, I ended up with lettuce piles, but they proved to be just as scrumptious and surely just as healthy :) I skillet-boiled (what is the term for this?) two boneless, skinless chicken breasts and cut them into pieces. While skillet-boiling the chicken, I chopped and boiled two red potatoes. When the chicken was done, I added a couple of handfuls of snap peas, Italian dressing, and the boiled potatoes. I then simmered all of these ingredients together for approximately ten minutes, and the mixture came out well.

While preparing the ingredients for the would-be pile, I washed and dried some leaves of romaine lettuce and laid them on our plates. I also sliced up a multi grain baguette (5-6 slices), topped it with olive oil and cheddar, and threw them in the oven at 400 degrees for ten minutes or so (I really should get better at keeping track of how long I do these things... but I really just don't think about the time while I'm cooking unless I'm baking something - otherwise my intuition usually takes me in the right direction).

When all was done, I arranged the pile of Italian chicken, potatoes and snap peas on the beds of lettuce, added a few slices of cheesy multi grain toast, and set it all out on the table. Not too fancy, I'm afraid. But so good! And easy. I had plenty of leftovers - the other 3 chicken breasts (which I skillet-boiled and put away) I can use for nachos or for stuffing pita bread; same goes for the lettuce, and pretty much the same goes for the snap peas (except the nachos). Great!

Josh and I enjoyed this meal as one of our last together for about a month. He'll be leaving to go to the south soon and I'll be leaving for Costa Rica while he's gone, so we're really getting in a lot of time together, which includes delicious food! :) He enjoyed the food, as did I.

I then talked to my dad on the phone who mentioned Blue Bell ice cream (and Rocky Road flavor, at that. My favorite favorite favorite). I can't wait to go to Texas at the end of the summer, and that's just one reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I'm 25-yr-old grad student who is really getting into her food. I live very far away from my family and most of my dear friends, and I would like to be able to share my food adventures with them. As most of them know, food is really the only constant in my life.

Followers