Welcome to my food adventures!

I have recently decided to put my obscene love of food to some use. Now family and friends can keep up with me as I explore different kinds of food - at home, at restaurants, in other countries, etc.! I really do find that I associate lots of great memories with the food I eat. So this is as much a project for myself as it is for my friends and family. Enjoy! Hope some of it makes you hungry :)

Friday, August 20, 2010

Seaweed salad and my powerful brain

I'm not sure how healthy this was, but I was feeling very down and out yesterday and my brain was under the impression that eating this would make my stomach feel better. Or, rather, that it would not make it more upset than it already was. I was right: it did not make me feel worse, and I was able to mope around at the same speed I had all day until I eventually went to sleep and moped unconsciously. Still feeling under the weather now but coming out of the fog, I think.

It is incredibly interesting to me that the body is so very influenced by the brain, that if I sincerely think a latte, a croissant or a seaweed salad from a hole-in-the-wall sushi shop is going to make my stomach calm down, it will. This, I think, is probably absolute bull because coffee and milk are both likely to upset one's stomach - especially with the frothed milk of a latte - not to mention cause heartburn (for people like me). A croissant is made up of an ungodly amount of butter, which should theoretically also cause my stomach to have problems and / or upset my heartburn. This is all certainly logical. On the seaweed salad, I don't think there's anything that would cause me problems so it's less of a wonder, but it still brings me to ponder over the immense influence my thoughts have over the actual physical response of my body despite all the chemical evidence to the contrary. Don't get me wrong, I've never convinced myself that fries would make my stomach feel better. Experiment?

If I could study anything (besides what I currently study - *perhaps* in lieu of it), it would be nutrition. Still time, if I quit eating croissants!


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I'm 25-yr-old grad student who is really getting into her food. I live very far away from my family and most of my dear friends, and I would like to be able to share my food adventures with them. As most of them know, food is really the only constant in my life.

Followers