Welcome to my food adventures!

I have recently decided to put my obscene love of food to some use. Now family and friends can keep up with me as I explore different kinds of food - at home, at restaurants, in other countries, etc.! I really do find that I associate lots of great memories with the food I eat. So this is as much a project for myself as it is for my friends and family. Enjoy! Hope some of it makes you hungry :)

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Homemade chicken macaroni and cheese




This was a simple and delightful at-home dish that ended up being a crowd pleaser (if you count Josh and me as a crowd). And it was super easy! I found a recipe for homemade macaroni and cheese and tampered with it a little bit. I ended up using whole weat flour (not measuring anything, of course), skim milk, a reduced fat four-cheese Italian style blend and some kind of Omega smart butter. I also made my own breadcrumbs which was fun :) I boiled up some carrots, broccoli and cauliflower and sliced up some whole grain French bread, which I then topped with the tiniest bit of Italian dressing and put in the oven for about ten minutes at 400 degrees.
Josh and I sat on the floor for some reason (something we used to do in Charlotte when we didn't have any chairs!) and watched an episode of Man vs Wild with Bear Grylls. I love that guy. In any case, we had no dessert because this meal was pretty filling. But I won't shy away from some oreos and milk later... I really couldn't stand the milk I tried in Costa Rica so I've been drinking quite a bit in the last couple of days. Gotta watch out for that, even if it's skim! Got some sugar in there.
Speaking of sugar, Josh and I walked around Steinway St. today before hanging out at the local Starbucks and doing work. It was fun, and not just because we did some shopping :p. I have missed the neighborhood so it was really nice to walk around and still hear people speaking Spanish everywhere I went. I got some reading done in Starbucks while I munched on an Outrageous Oatmeal cookie (ALSO something I've missed dearly!) and a decaf latte. On the way home we hit up Red Mango, a fro yo place that I hadn't tried until today. Pretty good! I got Madagascar vanilla and key lime swirl with fresh strawberries on top.
The day has been interesting, fun and most importantly, tasty!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I'm 25-yr-old grad student who is really getting into her food. I live very far away from my family and most of my dear friends, and I would like to be able to share my food adventures with them. As most of them know, food is really the only constant in my life.

Followers