Welcome to my food adventures!

I have recently decided to put my obscene love of food to some use. Now family and friends can keep up with me as I explore different kinds of food - at home, at restaurants, in other countries, etc.! I really do find that I associate lots of great memories with the food I eat. So this is as much a project for myself as it is for my friends and family. Enjoy! Hope some of it makes you hungry :)

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Boar's Head hot dogs on Shelter Island


Now I have to admit, although I generally avoid eating hot dogs or any kind of sausage type meat at all costs, this particular brand of hot dots fogged my brain of all reason and by the end of our moving adventure I had eaten at least two of these. I honestly can't remember if I ate more than two because the time flew by in a complete blur! But I will get to that in a bit. First, let me tell you more about these delicious dogs.

Not having thought to check and see if Ben's parents already had ingredients for making hot dogs, we went to the supermarket upon arriving to Shelter Island and bought what we thought was the most interestingly packaged collection of wieners: Boar's Head. I really love their smoked turkey and their provolone cheese, so I was all about trying out their dogs over Nathan's, Ball Park and the other usuals. It was well worth the risk. They were excellent! Ben lathered them in BBQ sauce before throwing them on the grill for ten minutes or so, which added a great flavor. The best part about these dogs was that while grilling, they develop a kind of roasted skin (sounds gross but tastes wonderful) which is crispy, making an interesting textural combination with the juicy hot dog inside. I added shredded cheese to mine and we had some crispy Cape Cod potato chips on the side. Very very simple, but very cheap and it saved us from eating out, which I hear isn't great on Shelter Island. However, we felt pretty silly after returning from the supermarket to find ALL the supplies we had just purchased in the fridge already. But! If we had paid more attention, we wouldn't have ended up with Boar's Head hot dogs, so one can only assume it worked out for the better.

On to the island adventure itself. After moving countless items, getting horribly sweaty and taking countless showers, and eating countless hot dogs, I'd say it was a physically tough but fun couple of days. Once we were finished with the hard labor, we drove around and saw beaches, random sites from Ben's younger years, went on a walk through the Mashomack Preserve and had delicious ice cream (separate post). We also watched a little bit of Avatar: The Last Airbender (quite a different experience on such a large screen!) and The Iron Giant, now a favorite movie of mine. It's too bad that Josh couldn't be there with us, but he really lucked out in a way because the humidity was just a bear.

It is a little silly to post an entry about hot dogs from a culinary standpoint, but I'd like to mention again that I associate memories with the food I eat and this blog is, in a way, kind of a journal that will hopefully serve me well in the future. I just threw in a picture for the heck of it :) Also, if you look closely you can see the skin I was talking about...



No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I'm 25-yr-old grad student who is really getting into her food. I live very far away from my family and most of my dear friends, and I would like to be able to share my food adventures with them. As most of them know, food is really the only constant in my life.

Followers