Welcome to my food adventures!

I have recently decided to put my obscene love of food to some use. Now family and friends can keep up with me as I explore different kinds of food - at home, at restaurants, in other countries, etc.! I really do find that I associate lots of great memories with the food I eat. So this is as much a project for myself as it is for my friends and family. Enjoy! Hope some of it makes you hungry :)

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Brother Jimmy's BBQ in NYC


Now this was a treat! Josh and I went into the city to meet a friend we hadn't seen in about a year, Diana Rodriguez. While we were hanging out wit her we chose a spot so that Josh and I could get some food, and we saw this SOUTHERN restaurant. We were skeptical - and always are - because we've tried some "southern" restaurants in Ithaca and elsewhere which, much to our unpleasant surprise, usually don't even have sweet tea. Brother Jimmy's not only had sweet tea (which was very good!), it had Cheerwine, which Josh promptly ordered. I got a pulled BBQ chicken plate with macaroni and cheese and string beans (covered in that amazing Tony's seasoning I miss so much). Josh got a pulled pork sandwhich with some seriously Carolinian sauce (read: mostly vinegar). It was far too much food and even after only eating half of my plate I was suffering a bit! But it was so nice to have all of those items. And I forgot to mention the corn bread. Just right!
I did want to order sweet potato fries. I love them dearly, but to my knowledge that's not a southern food...? Correct me if I'm wrong, and I'll be doing some research, but I had never tried such a thing until I moved to Boston. I would give this restaurant minus a one-half star if I were giving it a rating only because they were missing one very important southern food: HUSH PUPPIES!
Try it out if you're ever here and you find yourself with a craving for the South. :D
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I'm 25-yr-old grad student who is really getting into her food. I live very far away from my family and most of my dear friends, and I would like to be able to share my food adventures with them. As most of them know, food is really the only constant in my life.

Followers