Welcome to my food adventures!

I have recently decided to put my obscene love of food to some use. Now family and friends can keep up with me as I explore different kinds of food - at home, at restaurants, in other countries, etc.! I really do find that I associate lots of great memories with the food I eat. So this is as much a project for myself as it is for my friends and family. Enjoy! Hope some of it makes you hungry :)

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Emergency food - honey wheat pecan bread



I'd like to take a break from all the Texas posts to focus on my storm prep food, which turned out fabulously! In my second attempt to bake a loaf of bread I used a tad bit more common sense than in the first, and it turned out in my favor.

What you see here is a loaf of whole wheat honey pecan bread! Made right in my kitchen, as I was sleeping. In fact, I am fairly certain that I got up and unplugged the machine (there is physical evidence of this) without really waking up. At least if I'm going to sleep for too many hours of the day, I know I might be taking care of chores while doing so!

My first loaf of bread, if one can call it a loaf, came out horribly. It was a hefty dense lump of cranberry flavored material with somewhere around a cup of flour stuck to the bottom of it. I have to say that I'm quite proud of the second go! It's very tasty, as well. I had a couple of slices for breakfast. It really is very hearty and filling. I put the rest of the slices in the freezer. I can't wait to make some serious sandwiches with this stuff!

It's a good thing I made survival food (which also consists of pasta salad) because it did snow like you wouldn't believe. Very fortunately, my power is ON! But I'll be enjoying the bread nonetheless :) I also picked up some new Spanish wine (another Rioja), so I will hopefully be enjoying that too with my next food adventure, which should be happening right about now.

Chao!








1 comment:

  1. Katie Louise,
    I got your message! Yes, I was your professor at MTSU, and now I live in Brighton. I'm getting a PhD in theology & education at BC and am in my second year here. How long have you been in Boston? What are you studying? Would be delighted to see you if time permits. Email me at shanoverton@gmail.com. Happy New Year!
    Best,
    Shan

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I'm 25-yr-old grad student who is really getting into her food. I live very far away from my family and most of my dear friends, and I would like to be able to share my food adventures with them. As most of them know, food is really the only constant in my life.

Followers