Welcome to my food adventures!

I have recently decided to put my obscene love of food to some use. Now family and friends can keep up with me as I explore different kinds of food - at home, at restaurants, in other countries, etc.! I really do find that I associate lots of great memories with the food I eat. So this is as much a project for myself as it is for my friends and family. Enjoy! Hope some of it makes you hungry :)

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Chicken fried steak and saltwater taffy

It has to be one of the unhealthiest things on the planet that one can eat, but chicken fried steak is also one of the tastiest! You'll also see my bag of saltwater taffy, which lasted me the ride back to Bay City (from Austin) and a few more days after that :) I got it from that same shop where I found the chocolate-covered bacon. Delicious! I could use some right about now. The taffy, not the bacon.

After spending an all too fast day with Kati, I hung out for a bit by myself at Mozart's, a really neat cafe on Lake Austin, and then met my cousin Anna and her daughter Jade for dinner. This was my last meal in Austin before heading out, and it was fantastic! I had, as you can see, a chicken fried steak with mashed potatoes and gravy. Talk about comfort food!

For those of you who might not be aware, there are debates among southerners as to whether this dish is called chicken fried steak (as I call it) vs. country fried steak (as Josh calls it). According to this wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_fried_steak, it turns out that it comes down to a difference in the batter's ingredients. Let it be known: they are NOT exactly the same thing! Though to be absolutely honest, I'm not sure I could tell them apart. This dish is extremely southern, and extremely good.

The best part of this meal, though, was actually catching up with my cousin whom I had not seen in years. We are two of the four red-headed grandchildren (out of 26 total, I believe) on my dad's side. It's a silly connection, but it's cool nonetheless. We had a really great visit and it was sad to see the dinner come to an end. But luckily we had a good photo taken so that we can remember it! And hopefully I'll see her again soon.

If I'm not mistaken, I had sweet tea or Dr. Pepper with that meal. Probably sweet tea! :D More TX cuisine to come soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I'm 25-yr-old grad student who is really getting into her food. I live very far away from my family and most of my dear friends, and I would like to be able to share my food adventures with them. As most of them know, food is really the only constant in my life.

Followers