Welcome to my food adventures!

I have recently decided to put my obscene love of food to some use. Now family and friends can keep up with me as I explore different kinds of food - at home, at restaurants, in other countries, etc.! I really do find that I associate lots of great memories with the food I eat. So this is as much a project for myself as it is for my friends and family. Enjoy! Hope some of it makes you hungry :)

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Roast Beef Sandwich and BBQ Chips at Home

It is a quiet summer night here in Allston. As I've been eating out quite a lot lately, tonight felt like a stay-at-home simple meal night. There are lots of little parts to the story of this post, though. You'll notice that I haven't posted in AGES. So I'll explain the exciting meal first, then address the posting itself.

As a grad student, one becomes somehow much more aware of the presence of free food. Even if it's just roast beef and cheese hanging out in the break room at the library where you work, with little to no explanation of why it's there or where it's come from. Don't worry, the provenance of present beef and cheese is pretty innocuous. The Rare Books and Special Collections Library on campus (where I work as a graduate research assistant in University Archives and Manuscripts) is in the process of interviewing candidates for an open staff position, meaning lots of catered lunches. And they were thoughtful enough to bring all the deliciously free leftovers to the break room, and all of the students went to town wrapping up different food items. I myself chose roast beef and cheese, clearly. As for the sandwich you see in the photo, it's pretty fabulous. The chips are a Tangy Carolina BBQ flavor and I think the name speaks for itself. Trader Joe's Tuscan Pane complements the rest of the sandwich perfectly. I did heat the meat up in a frying pan with some olive oil, and let the cheese melt on top. Really added some flavor.

So why did I post about free meat? As I wait for my laundry to dry on a boring Tuesday night, I need some kind of activity to pass the time (we'll just pretend I don't have hundreds of texts to read for my PhD comps next year). But really the idea came to me because I remembered one of of my favorite dishes from this blog - the casado con pescado. I recently made a new friend from Costa Rica and I thought I'd go looking for the picture so I could prove I indeed made a casado. Then I got to reading through all my posts and I really enjoyed the memories that came with all of them. So I'm hoping to commit here and now to keeping up with the posts for the rest of the summer! This year has been weird and extremely difficult, but I've certainly continued eating interesting things in interesting places, so I might as well be documenting! Posts will come out of chronological order for a while, but it'll straighten itself out soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I'm 25-yr-old grad student who is really getting into her food. I live very far away from my family and most of my dear friends, and I would like to be able to share my food adventures with them. As most of them know, food is really the only constant in my life.

Followers