Welcome to my food adventures!

I have recently decided to put my obscene love of food to some use. Now family and friends can keep up with me as I explore different kinds of food - at home, at restaurants, in other countries, etc.! I really do find that I associate lots of great memories with the food I eat. So this is as much a project for myself as it is for my friends and family. Enjoy! Hope some of it makes you hungry :)

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Dutch Apple Pie from Starbucks


In June, I took a two-week trip to Spain to visit some dear friends/colleagues who were staying there for a month or so. It was one of the best (even if solitary) vacations I've ever had in my life. It's been four years since I got back from my semester abroad in Pamplona, and during all that time I dreamed of going back there, of seeing the people I had become close to and of course, of eating the food I grew to love so very much. While I will have some authentically Spanish food posts coming, this one is not quite so for two reasons. The apple pie featured in this post is from Holland, and it's from a Starbucks. In the airport! Not exactly the Dutch apple pie I was longing for, but after 8 hours on a plane with little sleep, I was ready for anything.

While in Spain in 2007, I had the opportunity to visit some friends of my family (TX family) who live in Holland. It was an amazing trip, and it was really something to reunite with a woman who had lived with my family as an exchange student... when I was three years old. While in Amsterdam and Kampen, I tried all sorts of delicious Dutch food. In fact, on a somewhat unrelated note, I think I can say I sampled the best whiskey sour I've ever had there in Kampen. Back to the pie. Somewhere in that weekend (it's all a blur to me now) full of Rembrandt's house, the Rijks and other tourist sites, I tried an apple pie that blew my mind. Served cold, it came with nuts and fruit on top. Not to mention that it was about the size of my face. I don't mean to put down hot apple pie, but having it cold has turned me forever. And I've been craving it, waiting for the chance to have it again.

Although my layover was something like four hours, I didn't want to go outside and adventure around Amsterdam because I was extremely tired and didn't want to mess around with security (the customs officers sure weren't friendly). So I settled for walking all over the airport in search of a worthy slice of apple pie. After a long while, I gave up and resigned to Starbucks for some drinks and food I knew would get me by, being all too familiar with its products. And while I was waiting in line watching people and listening to them speak in their respective languages, I saw it. The HUGE, cold apple pie. With an iced soy latte on the side, it made for a nice layover on my way to Madrid (I would eventually end up squished between gigantic Dutch rugby players on the plane).

From there, my food adventures were only about to get tastier.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I'm 25-yr-old grad student who is really getting into her food. I live very far away from my family and most of my dear friends, and I would like to be able to share my food adventures with them. As most of them know, food is really the only constant in my life.

Followers